Éclair Tonnerre is an anime-character of noble French birth and extreme wealth. She is the current heir to the French company, Grand Tonnerre Group, whose modern-day fortune is based in Finance and Business Management.
Éclair is a mysterious, strange girl whose actions are a facade. She is cold, haughty and manipulative; and though it seems that she is genuinely attracted to Tamaki, it is mainly infatuation based on his appearance and ability to entertain her, as she often seems exceedingly bored. She is unkind to the Host Club as a lot, especially to Haruhi of whom she is jealous.
AppearanceÉclair's height is 5'4". She is beautiful with long chestnut-brown hair, vibrant blue eyes and a pale slender form. She often carries a pair of opera glasses with purple lenses, which she uses when she wants to see someone more clearly who's far away, or when she's talking to someone nearby, as a physical barrier.
Éclair also seems to always wear "fancy" clothes even in casual appearances, indicative of her noble birth.
Éclair comes to Japan to meet Tamaki after hearing many wonderful stories about him from his mother, Anne-Sophie de Grantaine, a housekeeper in the Tonnerre family's employ. Tamaki's grandmother, Shizue Suoh, knowing that the woman has the ability to buy out the Suoh holdings, seeks to align their families by arranging an engagement between the two young heir apparents. Tamaki agrees when he is told he will be allowed to see his mother again if he marries Éclair. At the conclusion of the anime and in a dramatic turn of events, Éclair releases Tamaki from his obligation because she understands both his heroic nature and his underlying love for Haruhi, who is in danger at that moment. Tamaki thanks Éclair for understanding his choice and acknowledges her single act of generosity (though it's unclear exactly what her true motives may be). Though she thinks him a fool, Éclair's final voiceover notes that even for someone like herself, a narcissist, Tamaki still smiled.
- In French, éclair means "lightning" and tonnerre means "thunder." "Éclair Tonnerre" literally means "lightning thunder" or, if said in traditional Japanese format as "Tonnerre Éclair" - thunder and lightning. Haruhi's fear of thunder is a play on words and a genuine state of being for Haruhi.
- (Referring to Tamaki) He's such a fool. (A)
- (Commenting on the Ouran's student art gallery) How pedestrian. (A)
- (To Anne-Sophie) Is he really that handsome like you said? (A)
- (To Tamaki) Play the piano for me, Tamaki.
- Even so, even for someone like me, he still smiled...