Benio is nicknamed "Benibara" and "The Lady of the Red Rose." She immediately recognizes Haruhi as a girl because, as she puts it, her "maidenly eyes." Along with her Chizuru and Hinako, Benio is homosexual; all three maidens being quite militant about their sexual orientation and equally negative in their attitudes towards males.
Benio has a very large fan club devoted to her; so large that a "Benibara-sama's Guardian Club" has been founded at St. Lobelia's just to make sure she doesn't get mobbed when walking around campus. Benio's flirting with her fans makes them even more crazy for her and they are depicted, in the anime, as howling red octopi. Although neither side would admit it, Benio and Tamaki have much in common: both being the presidents of their respective clubs, each flirting with ease, and each possessing over-confidence and melodramatic natures, to name a few.
In Ep 19 - Lobelia Girls’ Academy Strikes Back! Benio claims to be following in the footsteps of her mother, who is intimated to be a Zuka Club past-president of renown, though this is unverified. Benio uses it, however, as a ploy to attempt what she believes is Haruhi's first kiss in front of Tamaki as revenge for having defied the Zuka Club's beliefs. In the manga it is simply a ruse to show the foolishness of men.
Benio has cropped brown hair, pale skin and green eyes. She is noticibly taller than her fellow Zuka Club members. She wears the standard Lobelia uniform, but when in costumer or street-wear, she is rarely seen in a skirt.
- She hates men because she believes them to be useless and stupid.
- Although female, she refers to herself with the pronoun "boku," usually used by males.
- In the anime, she says that "she will follow her mother's footsteps," suggesting that her mother may have been an actress.
- Benio's nickname, Benibara, is derived from her title in the Zuka club - Lady of the Red Rose. "Beni-" refers to her name and "-bara" literally translates as rose.
- Even though the current Zuka Club despises and suspects men, Benio's mother married a man.
- After her initial appearance in the manga, she is not seen again until Chapter 81.
|• Tamaki Suoh • Kyoya Ootori • Hikaru Hitachiin • Kaoru Hitachiin|
|• Mitsukuni "Honey" Haninozuka • Takashi "Mori" Morinozuka • Haruhi Fujioka|
|• Benio Amakusa • Chizuru Maihara • Hinako Tsuwabuki|