Mitsukuni "Honey" Haninozuka is considered a "boy lolita" or "loli-shota;" basically, an older boy who is attractive to girls because he is child-like and cute. Honey, himself, loves cute things and indulges in sweets of cake and candy on a near-constant basis; this, despite being smaller than average for his age and a martial arts champion. He is a perennial optimist with an innocent approach to life that makes him appear to be more like an elementary school student instead of a 3rd-year high school student, as well as the eldest of all the Hosts. He is often seen riding on the shoulders of his best friend and cousin, Takashi "Mori" Morinozuka, and is almost always carrying his pink stuffed rabbit, Usa-chan. When he speaks about positive things, flowers float about his head.
PersonalityAlthough he often appears dimwitted, Honey is actually highly intelligent and clever, and is able to see that Tamaki, Hikaru and Kaoru all have feelings for Haruhi. Despite his generally positive nature, he angers easily when awakened from slumber and since his bloodtype is AB, most of the hosts believe that he has a split personality (i.e. Dark/Nice Honey). As the oldest person in the club, Honey refers to his fellow hosts using the "-chan" honorific. He also serves as a mentor-figure for the hosts, especially Kaoru, and is eager to help others find their identity, just as Tamaki helped him find the courage to be his own true self. However, he does not believe in babying people, even Mori, and typically does not offer his advice unless he is approached first. He is adoring of his stuffed bunny, Usa-chan, as it was made just for him by his late grandmother, and he harbors an insatiable appetite for sweets and cake, admitting that he eats three whole cakes for dessert every evening after dinner.
Honey is born under the star sign of Pisces, the Fishes. The positive traits of this sign are imagination, kindness, compassion, intuition, sensitivity and selflessness; the negative traits being escapism, idealism, a weak will, over-sensitivity, pessimism and indolence. Since he is born on the 29th of February, leap-day, Honey is considered a "leapling" and only celebrates his actual birthday once every four years, giving these qualities a lesser influence on his personality.
AppearanceHoney posesses a babyish face and is extremely short in height; his actual height being 148 cm (4'10") but growing to be 180 cm (5'11") in a 2011 omake in a dream of Haruhi's. His hair is short and honey-blond in color (as opposed to Tamaki, whose hair is pale blond). When not in Ouran's school uniform, he tends to dress simply in the anime but outrageously in the manga. He is typically seen with his cousin Mori or his stuffed bunny Usa-Chan (aka Bun-Bun) by his side, and whenever he speaks, flowers float around his head; the only exceptions being when he is angry, upset or confused.
Honey's rose color in the Host Club is pink. In Japanese culture, this signifies joy and trustworthiness; Honey possesses both of these traits. In Western culture, the pink rose is a symbol of nurturing and affection; also traits which Honey demonstrates throughout the series.
The Haninozuka Family
The Haninozuka family have excelled in martial arts for generations, to the point that all family members are martial arts champions. Upon greeting, it is tradition for family members to fight as a reminder to keep their guard up. It should be noted that height is not significant in the Haninozuka Martial Arts, as it is mentioned that, "There are more small people in the [Haninozuka] family than not." Honey is said to be the best martial arts champion in Japan, his prowess such that he has been instructed to never go all-out in a public fight. The reason given by Tamaki in Ep 18 - Chika's "Down with Honey" Declaration! is that if he ever fought all-out, he would be viewed as a secret weapon and thus, would risk Japan's good relations with the United States.
RelationshipsNewpaper Club when they attempt to discredit Tamaki, believing that he's wielding his family's power over the rest of the Hosts. Honey says (paraphrasing), "Tama-chan would never do that. We all like Tamaki. That's why we're in the Host Club in the first place." Black Magic Club, she becomes obsessed with casting spells to "capture his soul" since she believes that he's captured hers, and despite the loli-shota's initial misgivings, he realizes that her actions are attempts at communication. Honey explains that an easier way to "capture another's soul" is simply to talk to them and learn about them. When Kanazuki begins to attend the Host Club, their relationship deepens and they discover one another's obsessions - Kanazuki's being black magic while Honey's is cake and small things. In an omake, they marry, making Honey the first Host to do so.
- (To Kasanoda) Don't you get it? See Takashi wasn't on anyone's bad side; these guys were after you. Until we caught them, we decided not to say anything to you because we didn't you to have to mess with them.
- No thank you, I don't like sweets.
- I'll eat it!
- It is revealed at the end of the series that Kyoya gave Honey some "special vitamins" that prevented him from growing taller, so that he could keep the loli-shota role of the Host Club. Kyoya said that if Honey were average height, then there would be two Tamaki's, which wouldn't be good for business. Honey grew to normal size after the group left to study abroad in Boston. But this turned out to be a dream of Haruhi, Kyoya asks Haruhi if she really thinks that he is that evil.
- In the manga, nearly every time Honey speaks, there are flowers around his speech-bubble. This is the same for the anime, though the flowers are placed around his character and during serious moments they disappear.
- He wore in episode 22 along with the others, Tamaki Suoh not, a forehead protector. Just like the ninjas in the popular anime Naruto and Naruto Shippuden do.
- Honey's mobile like some of the other hosts is pink to match his rose color.
- In Chapter 72, Honey graduates from Ouran.
- ↑ Chapter 3