|Mitsukuni "Honey" Haninozuka|
|Name Kanji||埴之塚 光邦|
|Age||17 (Chapter 57)|
|Star Sign||Pisces, the Fishes|
|Favourite Food(s)||Cake, Strawberries, Candy, Spicy food sometimes|
|Club||Ouran Host Club|
|Occupation||3rd-year High School student (Anime) |
1st-year College student (Manga Chapter 72)
|Relatives||Haninozuka Yorihisa (Father)|
Reiko Kanazuki (Girlfriend/Wife - Manga)
Yasuchika Haninozuka (Brother)
Takashi Morinozuka (Cousin)
Satoshi Morinozuka (Cousin - Manga)
Akira Morinozuka (Uncle - Manga)
|Manga Debut||Chapter 1|
|Anime Debut||Episode 1|
|Seiyū||Ikue Ōtani (early drama CDs)|
Ayaka Saitō (anime and later drama CDs)
|Voice Actor||Luci Christian|
Nishida Shogo (Smaller Form)
Although he appears dimwitted, Honey is actually very clever and is able to see that Tamaki, Hikaru and Kaoru have feelings for Haruhi. Despite his generally positive nature, he angers easily when awakened from slumber and since his blood type is AB, most of the hosts believe that he has a split personality (i.e. Dark/Nice Honey).
As the eldest host in the club, Honey refers to his fellow hosts using the -chan honorific. He also serves as a mentor-figure for the hosts, especially Kaoru, and is eager to help others find their identity, just as Tamaki helped him find the courage to be his own true self. He is adoring of his stuffed bunny, Usa-chan, as it was made just for him by his now-deceased grandmother, and he harbors an insatiable appetite for sweets and cake, which he believes can solve or at least ease any problem.
Honey is born under the star sign of Pisces, the Fishes. The positive traits of this sign are imagination, kindness, compassion, intuition, sensitivity and selflessness; the negative traits being escapism, idealism, a weak will, over-sensitivity, pessimism and indolence. Since he is born on the 29th of February, leap-day, Mitsukuni only celebrates his actual birthday once every four years, giving these qualities a lesser influence on his personality.
Honey posesses a babyish face and is short in height; his actual height is 148cm (4'11") but he grows to be 180cm (6') in a 2011 omake in Haruhi's dream. His hair is short and honey-blond in color (as opposed to Tamaki, whose hair is pale blond). When not in Ouran's school uniform, he tends to dress simply. He is normally seen with his cousin Mori or his stuffed bunny Usa-Chan (aka Bun-Bun) by his side, and whenever he speaks, flowers float around his head; the only exceptions being when he is angry, upset or confused.
Honey's rose color in the Host Club is pink. In Japanese culture, this signifies joy and trustworthiness; Honey possesses both of these traits in quantity. In Western culture, the pink rose is a symbol of nurturing and affection; also traits which Honey demonstrates throughout the series.
The Haninozuka family have excelled in martial arts for generations, to the point that all family members are martial arts champions. Upon greeting, it is tradition for family members to fight as a reminder to keep their guard up. It should be noted that height is not significant in the Haninozuka Martial Arts, as it is mentioned that, "There are more small people in the [Haninozuka] family than not." Honey is said to be the best martial arts champion in Japan, and his prowess is such that he has been instructed to never go all-out in a public fight. The reason given by Tamaki in the anime episode,"Chika's "Down with Honey" Declaration," is that if he ever fought all-out, he would be viewed as a secret weapon and thus, would risk Japan's good relations with the United States.
Yasuchika Haninozuka, affectionately nicknamed "Chika" in the anime, is Honey's younger brother and appears to be his polar opposite. In contrast to his elder brother, he is taller and has great loathing for sweets, cute things, and his sibling's love for them. When Chika openly accuses his brother of being an alien who uses Usa-chan to communicate with a "mother ship," he explains that this accusation stems from the fact that Honey eats three cakes for dessert every night and holds a weekly eat-all-you-want midnight cakefest, which confounds his brother as Honey never seems to gain weight. Over time, Chika is revealed to actually care deeply for his elder brother and holds great respect for his martial arts skills, though he still remains frustrated by his brother's loli-shota tendencies.
Mori and Honey are not only cousins, but best friends, whose close relationship is rivalled only by the Hitachiin twins. Honey is the only one who calls Mori by his first name (i.e. Takashi) and vice versa. Many generations before marriage united their families, the Morinozuka household served the Haninozuka household; and so despite the marriage, the two continue to be a team. Mori is very protective of and loyal to Honey and Honey seems to genuinely like and appreciate Mori - he can be seen riding on his shoulders frequently, interacting with him constantly, and even ruffling his hair once in a while. They depend on each other as brothers do, Mori serving as confidant and companion in place of Honey's natural brother who wants no part of him.
Despite the fact that Honey's feelings towards Haruhi are never directly addressed, it is evident that his feelings are platonic, and not romantic. He finds Haruhi endearing, which demonstrates his love for all things cute (like his stuffed rabbit, Usa-chan) and he is the first person to reach out to her when she first encounters the Host Club, calling her "Haru-Chan" and extending an offer to eat cake with him. He is also the second person, (after Kyoya who knew all along) to learn of Haruhi's true gender. His relationship with her is best described as a brother/sister-like one, as he can often be found helping Haruhi out in various scenarios, especially when it comes to understanding her own or other's feelings.
Honey likes and cares about Tamaki very much, seeing as how when Tamaki first invited him to join the Host Club, he was the one to say that it was okay to like cute things and to eat cake if that is what he likes. The loli-boy, who had been wanting to embrace that part of himself for quite a while, is thankful and touched by Tamaki's acceptance of his true self, much like Takashi does. Honey is also the first to defend Tamaki against the Newpaper Club when they attempt to discredit Tamaki, believing that he's wielding his family's power over the rest of the Hosts. Honey says (paraphrasing), "Tama-chan would never do that. We all like Tamaki. That's why we're in the Host Club in the first place." Honey is thankful of Tamaki for showing what his "real strength" is, tobe yourself, so Honey stopped pretending to be manly like and joined the Host Club.
Reiko Kanazuki is a manga-only character who develops romantic intentions towards Honey when she trips over Usa-chan and Honey offers his hand to help her up, thus displaying the first nice action any human being has done for her in a long time. As a member of the Black Magic Club, she becomes obsessed with casting spells to "capture his soul" since she believes that he's captured hers, and despite the loli-shota's initial misgivings, he realizes that her actions are attempts at communication in her own anti-social way. Honey explains that an easier way to "capture another's soul" is simply to talk to them; and that if she shared her likes and dislikes with others, they'd become closer to her. When Kanazuki begins to attend the Host Club, their relationship deepens and they discover one another's obsessions - Kanazuki's being black magic while Honey's is cake and small things. In an omake, they marry, making Honey the first Host to do so.
Honey, despite liking cute things and acting like an elementary schoolboy, is actually smart and has the skill to understand things quite clearly. He's the first one to notice all the male hosts' feelings for Haruhi. In the manga, when Haruhi and Tamaki finally get together, he tells Kyoya that he thought Kyoya was the most oblivious one to his feelings for Haruhi. Kyoya replies that while he acknowledges Haruhi, he couldn't marry someone who didn't bring merit to his family. He then adds that he's happier that Haruhi is together with his best friend, Tamaki. Honey and Kyoya are considered to be the most mature members of the Host Club, being the 1st and 2nd people to recognize Haruhi as a girl and both understanding things quickly. While they do not seem to interact very much, Mitsukuni and Kyoya have a deep respect for one other.
- Mitsukuni's bunny is called Bun-Bun in the Japanese version.
- His nickname is seen to be spelled as "Honey," "Hani", "Huni" and "Hunni." Though 'Hani' would be the most correct as his nickname is a shortening of his surname.
- Though an early riser, he is extremely irritable when awakened by others before he's ready to open his eyes; his title being "Low Blood Pressure Beast."
- Mitsukuni's blood type is AB, like Kyouya's. Because Mitskuni acts like a beast when upset or fighting, but is generally sweet otherwise; Tamaki and the others believes this superstition.
- His character song is "Doki Doki Waku Waku", or "Heart-Pounding Exciting."
- In Haruhi's manga-based dream, Kyouya is seen giving Mitsukuni "special vitamins" that stunt his growth in order to keep him as the loli-shota of the Host Club; the reason given that, if he ever grew taller, he would be a second Tamaki and that wouldn't be good for business.
- In a dream of Haruhi's, Mitsukuni grows to an average height once the Host Club moves to Boston.
- In both the anime and in the manga, Mitsukuni's speech is surrounded by flowers, except when he is being serious.
- He is the only one that calls Takashi by his name instead of his nickname and vice-versa.
- Before joining the Host Club, Mitsukuni was Capatain of the Karate Club.
- In the Haninozuka family, it is customary to fight with other family members upon meeting.
- A special chapter written for LaLa Magazine in April 2011 shows that Mitsukuni is the first of the Hosts to marry; his bride is Reiko Kanazuki.
- He hates Tamaki's grandmother due to her treatment of Tamaki.
- MItsukuni is the second Host to realize Haruhi's true gender due to her "awwww" response to Usa-chan upon first seeing it and her calling it, "cute."
- Although Mitsukuni's height (148cm or 4'11") diagnoses him with dwarfism by medical standards, he lacks concomitant features which is why he appears to look like a child rather than a typical "little person."
- In episode 22 of the anime, Mitsukuni wears a forehead protector reminiscent of the ninjas in Naruto and Naruto Shippuden.
- Mitsukuni's mobile phone is pink to match his rose color.
- (To Mori) "I'm sorry! I'm sorry, Takashi! I won't forget to brush my teeth again! I won't forget!..."
- (To Yasuchika) "Nobody can change who I am and I'm very grateful to Tama-chan and all of the Host Club because they showed me that. So...let's settle this like men in a Haninozuka style, Yasuchika."
- (To the twins) "We've had enough of this! You're both to blame for this fight! Hika-chan and Kao-chan, I want you to make up and go halfsies on this cake, okay? But, I want to have a piece, too, so I guess we're gonna have to go thirdsies. We're not going to be able to split the strawberry on top, though. What should we do? Maybe I should just take it. After all, strawberries are my favorite. Oh, I forgot to ask: Hika-chan, Kao-chan, do you like strawberries?"
- (To Takashi) "Takashi, you idiot! A little bit's not gonna hurt me! You're so mean! That's it! I hate you, I hate you, Takashi!"
|Tamaki Suou • Kyouya Ootori • Hikaru Hitachiin • Kaoru Hitachiin • Mitsukuni Haninozuka • Takashi Morinozuka • Haruhi Fujioka|
|Benio Amakusa • Chizuru Maihara • Hinako Tsuwabuki|